MyFictionNook

Sandra @ My Fiction Nook

I like romance and boys loving boys in my books.

You can also find me on my main blog

1418 Devotees
124 Devoted To
3337 BOOKS

Secrets and Charms
Lou Harper
Progress: 100%
The Luckiest (Lucky Moon Book 2)
M.J. O'Shea, M.J. O'Shea
My Favorite Uncle
Marshall Thornton
The River Leith
Leta Blake

Favorite quotes

Release Day ARC Review: Poppy's Secret by Andrew Grey

Poppy's Secret (Dreamspun Desires) - Andrew Grey

This is a sweet romance about a second chance at love between two men whose story was derailed 9 years prior when one of them got really cold feet and ran off, and a huge secret the other one's been keeping. It deals with family, forgiveness, and realizing where your heart belongs.

About nine years ago, Pat and Edge were in love and about to start a family. Except, as they were very young, Edge, a bit more of a free spirit, bolted to become a famous artist, and Pat ended up becoming a father to a little girl on his own.

Fast forward to current time, and Edge is back in town, wanting Pat back. And Pat's secret is likely to come out.

I liked this a lot. I fully understood Edge's reasons for leaving, and I also understood Pat's reason for letting him go without telling him the truth. Their biggest issue was communicating honestly, which, considering how young they were at the time, is also understandable.

The author did a fine job allowing the two men to rekindle their relationship, but also keeping the reader engaged by not making it easy for them. While the love between Edge and Pat has not cooled at all in their time apart, they both are different people than they were nine years ago, and Pat's daughter Emma is currently the biggest part of his life. They have to relearn each other, and carve out space to restart their relationship.

Both men also have to forgive the other, and I liked that the author didn't make that a simple thing. They had to talk, be honest, and figure out how to move beyond the hurt that Pat still feels when Edge comes back, and the massive secret Pat has been keeping from Edge.

Of course, this is a romance, so you know how this ends, right?

I also liked the supporting characters, especially Pat's little girl, and his mother. They really brought additional depth to the characters and the story. Emma was perhaps a little too precocious on occasion, but I ignored that for the most part. She was overall a sweet little thing, and I liked her. She was very open to having Edge in her father's (and her) life, as long as it made her Poppy happy. I'm glad that the author didn't portray her as jealous of the guy in her father's life after having him all to herself for so many years, and didn't use Emma as a plot device to create additional conflict.

I rather enjoyed reading this, and I think you will too.