MyFictionNook

Sandra @ My Fiction Nook

I like romance and boys loving boys in my books.

You can also find me on my main blog

1416 Devotees
122 Devoted To
3355 BOOKS

Secrets and Charms
Lou Harper
Progress: 100%
The Luckiest (Lucky Moon Book 2)
M.J. O'Shea, M.J. O'Shea
My Favorite Uncle
Marshall Thornton
The River Leith
Leta Blake

Favorite quotes

ARC Review: Do You Trust Me by B.G. Thomas

Do You Trust Me? - B.G. Thomas

I read the 2nd, revised edition of this book.

Do You Trust Me didn't work as well for me as Ben's other work, primarily because of the homophobia displayed by one of the main characters.

It's written in Ben's usual somewhat breathless style, and I enjoyed the story overall.

After the death of his wife, and the death of his best friend/brother-in-law, the newly widowed sister-in-law invites Neil to join them for a final vacation at a dude ranch, where Neil's daughter has spent a week each summer with her aunt and uncle for many years.

Neil has long buried the part of him that's gay, and has no plans on letting that part out even after his wife is dead. He's also still grieving his late wife, and his brother-in-law.

At the ranch, Neil is introduced to Cole, a young wrangler who happens to be gay and attracted to the older Neil.

This is also the part where I stopped enjoying this book for a while as Neil's suppressed sexuality makes an appearance dressed up as homophobia. The fact that he goes as far as complaining to the ranch's owner about Cole being gay really ticked me off, and I disliked Neil for a long while after, even if he eventually redeemed himself.

The book is unfortunately too short for me to believe in Neil's change of heart, his decision to have an affair/relationship with Cole, while continuing to question the gay part of himself, and their eventual HEA. It feels compressed into too few pages, considering they're only on the ranch for a week, and there just didn't seem enough time for someone who'd suppressed his homosexuality all his life to find the courage to come out, not only to himself but also to his family.

I think this book would have been better served by giving both Neil and Cole more time to realistically reach their happy ending.