MyFictionNook

Sandra @ My Fiction Nook

I like romance and boys loving boys in my books.

You can also find me on my main blog

1417 Devotees
124 Devoted To
3298 BOOKS

Secrets and Charms
Lou Harper
Progress: 100 %
The Luckiest (Lucky Moon Book 2)
M.J. O'Shea, M.J. O'Shea
My Favorite Uncle
Marshall Thornton
The River Leith
Leta Blake

Favorite quotes

ARC Review: Seven-Card Stud by Ava Drake

Seven-Card Stud (Dreamspun Desires Book 22) - Ava Drake

Intrigue, suspense, and a romance during a high stakes poker tournament - that's good stuff.

In this 2nd installment of the Wild Cards series, Ava Drake takes us to the coast of Gibraltar, where a super sekrit and super illegal high stakes Poker tournament is about to begin. Players are invitation-only, and nobody knows who's organizing it.

Which is why someone secured an invitation for Collin Callahan, a British spy. He's supposed to go against some of the best poker players in the world, all of whom have their own strategy on how to win.

On his first day at the exclusive resort where the tournament is taking place, Collin observes a swimmer out in the Mediterranean Sea, about to get run over, on purpose, by a jet ski. Fearful when the swimmer doesn't surface, Collin dives into the frigid sea to attempt a rescue, only to need rescuing himself, by said swimmer, who turns out to be a famous surfer named Oliver Elliott. Oliver is also at the resort for the same tournament.

They're supposed to be rivals, but it doesn't take much time until they heat up the sheets.

This was fast-paced, highly engaging, and a fun read. I breezed through this book in no time at all. The plot was a bit far-fetched, including the climax, and the epilogue, but I expected that going in.

The attraction between Collin and Oliver is immediate, and while there's a bunch of sex in this book, it doesn't take away from the plot. There was hacking into the hotel's servers, poker players being killed off, everyone being suspicious of everyone else - there's lots going on. I had a blast reading this book. Yeah, I suspended all disbelief, sure, but in return, the author took me on a wild ride.

But there was more than just that - both MCs also needed to work through some lingering issues, what with Oliver's daddy problems, and Collin's... well, you read this for yourself.

My only niggle was the ending. I would have liked to see the conglomerate die a fiery death and free them both. It wasn't the great romantic HEA that I wanted for them.

This was a great addition to the Dreamspun Desires series, nonetheless.