MyFictionNook

Sandra @ My Fiction Nook

I like romance and boys loving boys in my books.

You can also find me on my main blog

1418 Devotees
124 Devoted To
3337 BOOKS

Secrets and Charms
Lou Harper
Progress: 100%
The Luckiest (Lucky Moon Book 2)
M.J. O'Shea, M.J. O'Shea
My Favorite Uncle
Marshall Thornton
The River Leith
Leta Blake

Favorite quotes

ARC Review: The Millionaire Upstairs by M.J. O'Shea

The Millionaire Upstairs - M.J. O'Shea

This is the first book in the new Dreamspun Desires series published by Dreamspinner Press. The series has a Harlequin feeling to it, and the books should be read as such.

In this first offering, we are introduced to Sasha Sobieski, a very talented fashion student who's hired by his dream fashion company, Harrison Kingsley. He first meets the fashion house owner, Harrison himself, upon leaving the co-owner Joanna's office after being offered the position. Needless to say, the meeting does not go well.

Fast forward to Joanne being super pregnant and needing to take some time off, with Sasha being sent to the Hamptons for the summer to get ready for the Resort Fashion shows, assisting Harrison. Clearly, this isn't Joanna's most brilliant idea, knowing how Sasha feels about Harrison, and vice versa, but she insists, so Sasha packs his bags and his cat and hops into the company car to be taken to Kingsley Manor.

I love the enemy-to-lovers trope, and the author used it quite well here. Sasha carries this book for me, with his snark and thoughts, but also his vulnerability and emotions.

Harrison is an absolute dick for most of the book, and while he redeems himself at the very end, he didn't win my adoration with his assholish behavior for most of the book. He doesn't deserve Sasha, to be honest.

I also didn't like Joanna much - she came across as spoiled and unreasonable and manipulative.

The writing is wonderful, full of emotions. There's moments when Harrison hurts Sasha profoundly, with actions and words, but Sasha is no doormat and refuses to let Harrison treat him that way.

The setting of this book was perfect for this series - The Hamptons as a backdrop, a fashion house of high reputation, a lavish trip to Milan, Italy - and I enjoyed reading about the lives of the rich and famous spending their summer in the Hamptons.

This book is a romance lover's dream - slightly OTT, with an out of reach setting for mere mortals, but rich in romance, hurt and comfort, and excellent use of tropes that I expected for this series.

Well done!