MyFictionNook

Sandra @ My Fiction Nook

I like romance and boys loving boys in my books.

You can also find me on my main blog

1417 Devotees
124 Devoted To
3321 BOOKS

Secrets and Charms
Lou Harper
Progress: 100 %
The Luckiest (Lucky Moon Book 2)
M.J. O'Shea, M.J. O'Shea
My Favorite Uncle
Marshall Thornton
The River Leith
Leta Blake

Favorite quotes

ARC Review: Snowman by Isabelle Rowan

Snowman - Isabelle Rowan

Not a romance in the traditional sense, this book worked for me nonetheless, even though the two MCs are not together on page but for the beginning and the ending.

Caleb Maguire, who lives in the mountains of Victoria, AU, has not long ago lost his long-time partner/lover and is still working through his grief. His days are spent looking after his horses, his dog, and his home. He doesn't have a lot of interactions with the locals and basically keeps to himself.

Until he's called out to help a stranded motorist during a snowstorm.

Paul Turner, the snowman from the title, is younger than Caleb, and a city boy. Still, after defrosting in Caleb's house, in front of the fire on a makeshift bed, with hot mountain man wrapped around him to help with the defrosting, Paul starts to see the countryside with different eyes.

Both men are struck by each other, though neither is in a position to do anything about these feelings.

When the snow lets up, Paul goes home.

As I said, this is not a typical romance, but there are romantic elements. The book is really more about change, about moving through grief, about taking control of your life, and most of all about family. The family you're born with, and the family you make.

But at its core, this book is about love. The passionate, abiding love for your partner, the thrill of new love, the love of family, and love for yourself.

There are tense and scary moments within, there are emotional breakdowns, there are supportive friends (your chosen family), and there are tears.

The writing is beautiful, descriptive, and engaging. I was there with Paul, waiting for news from the frontlines, and I was there with Caleb, trying to save the one thing that he has left from his lover. I cried, waited, and rejoiced with them.

It's low on steam, which in the overall plot made sense, and therefore didn't bother me either. What is clear though is that once Paul and Caleb both work through their issues, they are ready, more than ready, to make a go of it.

Recommended!