MyFictionNook

Sandra @ My Fiction Nook

I like romance and boys loving boys in my books.

You can also find me on my main blog

1417 Devotees
124 Devoted To
3308 BOOKS

Secrets and Charms
Lou Harper
Progress: 100 %
The Luckiest (Lucky Moon Book 2)
M.J. O'Shea, M.J. O'Shea
My Favorite Uncle
Marshall Thornton
The River Leith
Leta Blake

Favorite quotes

ARC Review: Tristant and Elijah by Jennifer Lavoie

Tristant and Elijah - Jennifer Lavoie

This was a really good coming-of age/coming-out story.

What I especially liked was that the author chose to make one of the teenage boys, Tristant, to be secure in who he was, something that is rather unusual in a YA novel. He knew he was gay, his family knew he was gay, he had the support of his mother and grandmother, and was thus able to be happy with himself, even if there were a few normal teenage struggles he faced just the same. The major struggle was his crush on Elijah, who is seemingly straight.

As the story progresses, the two boys are united over a letter Elijah finds in a book, a letter written by Tristant's uncle Glenn, a letter that appears to hint at an illicit (for the times) relationship. As the boys find out more about Glenn, with the unwitting (or not) help from Tristant's grandmother, they are also becoming closer, and their relationship becomes strong enough for Elijah to find the courage to be true to himself.

This was my 2nd book by this author, and I liked it better than the other one I've read of hers. She has a wonderful way of making her characters sound realistic, giving them organic, believable dialogue, and doesn't use contrived conflict. Instead, we're given a sweet romance, set against a backdrop of historical views, and two protagonists who made me smile and think.

I'm obviously no longer a teenager, but we all remember our own struggles of finding our true identity. Some take longer than others, some come into their own at an earlier age, but we all get there eventually. Sometimes it takes having someone on your side to give you that final push to be true to yourself, and in this novel, Tristant becomes that person for Elijah.

The novel also presents the differences between the past and the present, with LGBTQ rights being fought for, and the "love that dare not speak its name" being more accepted than it used to be. We're of course still not where we should be, to a point where "coming out" isn't even a thing anymore, where love is love is love, and where everyone is equal.

Very nicely done, Ms. Lavoie. Please write another book soon!

** I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. A positive review was not promised in return. **