MyFictionNook

Sandra @ My Fiction Nook

I like romance and boys loving boys in my books.

You can also find me on my main blog

1417 Devotees
124 Devoted To
3308 BOOKS

Secrets and Charms
Lou Harper
Progress: 100 %
The Luckiest (Lucky Moon Book 2)
M.J. O'Shea, M.J. O'Shea
My Favorite Uncle
Marshall Thornton
The River Leith
Leta Blake

Favorite quotes

ARC Review: Macarons at Midnight by MJ O'Shea and Anna Martin

Macarons at Midnight - M.J. O'Shea, Anna  Martin

This book is super sweet, not only in regards to the romance between Henry Livingston, trust-fund baby and self-employed baker, and Tristan Green, from Yorkshire, who works in NYC for an ad agency, but also because of the numerous sweet treat recipes that are between the chapters.

There are no major sexy times on page, but what we get is a relatively quickly developing romance, and two guys who have some issues of their own to content with, namely Henry's aversion to all things related to his super rich family, and Tristan's feeling out of place in the Big Apple, without friends, not really liking his job, and struggling to find his stride.

When Tristan stumbles through the NYC streets one night, lost on his way home, he finds himself in front of a little bakery, with cheerful yellow walls, and falls head over heels for the gorgeous man wielding the whisk and baking sheets. The two get close and then closer, spending much time together, and baking treats at Henry's home after hours.

It seems like the perfect romance, they're in love, and I was all ready for the HEA, when the authors decided to throw in a wrench that made sense for Tristan to a point, but not for Henry at all - it didn't fit the heretofore established character. I was bummed. The resolution of this situation also left much to be desired.

While I liked Trixie (Henry's socialite sister), the remaining supporting characters felt one-dimensional, almost cardboard-like.

For Henry to believe someone like Jordan, whom he just met at a party, over Tristan who he has spent so much time with, was unbelievable for me. It was as if Henry allowed his insecurities to take center stage, which hadn't until then even been really mentioned, all because some jerk insinuated (well, lied) something that wasn't true at all.

So that was a bummer at the end. I liked Tristan's persistence in clearing up this misunderstanding, but Henry's forgiveness was too rapid a change for me too. I didn't quite understand how he could so abruptly decide that Tristan was telling the truth, after treating him like a leper initially.

The writing is lovely, the recipes will be tried out at my own house, and I do recommend this if you want a bit of sweet fluff to brighten your day.

** I received a free copy of this book from the publisher. A positive review was not promised in return. **